Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Behind the Scenes - Rishikesh shoot

Many people have been asking about the lighting in the Rishikesh/Kumbh Mela shoot i recently did. Here's a behind the scenes lighting setup of a few of the shots. My assistant Vijay and I lugged around almost 40 kgs worth of equipment through the foothills of the Himalyas but it was most definitely worth the effort.

Equipment was: Canon 5d 2, 24-70 2.8, Profoto 7b pack, extra battery (ugh), 4' x 3' softbox, lightstand, profoto 1200 w/s head, misc filters and odds and ends, pocket wizards...water.

Scroll down and you feel see the lighting setups. As well, I posted a before and after post process image. Amazingly little was done in post, basically increased exposure and added some vignetting...most of dramatic power of these images was created in camera!









10 comments:

Sarah Balderas said...

Those photos are amazing...thanks for posting your 'behind-the-lighting' photos, Martin!

Sital Patel said...

Martin as always you pictures are truly beautiful and inspiring. Thanks for sharing the light it is always interesting even for a Makeup Artist.

Mark Dunlap Photography said...

Very nice Martin. Thanks for sharing. As near as I can tell from a couple of the behind the scenes shots, you must be feathering your light from the soft box like crazy. Wonderful quality to the lighting on your subjects.

Chad Zellner said...

Great post, man. You're awesome =D

Craig Peihopa said...

Thanks Martin, much appreciated.

Heather in Chicago said...

love your images as always Martin! Do you have any photos of Holi? If so, please share!

lotus said...

Martin - I heard that part of your photo shoot with Vishvaji was online. I'm glad I looked for it. Your work is beautiful. Much respect. Karishma

Stewart (Suchy) said...

Some great shots here Martin. Really appreciate the setup shots and before / after. I am going to be in India for a few weeks this fall - these shots got me looking forward to my trip even more!

Lars said...

Wonderful pictures ... wonderful life.

I am glad I have found you on the internet. For me taking photographs is also a way to see and to come close as possible to the meaning of life.

Being the observer I also have in common ...

With best wishes,
Lars

Brian Bray said...

Why do I love set-up shots as much as art shots? What's wrong with me?!
Seriously, these are great. Your latest work is breathtaking, and it's great to see your set-ups. Thanks for sharing!