Thursday, December 4, 2008

Calming the monkey mind


A wise one once said: "The mind is like a drunken monkey stung by a bee..."

I couldn't agree more. I sometimes find it so tedious and difficult to focus on one thing. My mind jumps around at the slightest distraction, overreacting, judgmental, worried and anxious. 

I took this photo of Max to describe what we all go through sometimes. But you see that dude in the middle? The one who's just sitting there, calmly, peacefully? He's the one who saves my ass...

If it wasn't for a meditation and yoga practice I think I would have gone insane years ago. We can learn to calm the monkey mind through the practice of meditation, which is really just learning 'present moment' awareness. A good place to start is with the breath; close your eyes and just focus on the in and out points of your breath.

Its amazing what starts to happen; the calming of the mind, the breaking of the incessant streams of thought can yield an emptiness from which true creativity can arise. I definitely credit my meditation practice with the success I've had in photography.

20 minutes in the morning, 20 minutes before bed. Try it. Its free.

2 comments:

john said...

indeed. this works wonders :) i probably could add another 2 or 3 people to that image :)

Anonymous said...

We're too much alike Mardo.
Love you.
P.